[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS Installation : Error :redis-server is not running or not listening on socket: /tmp/redis.sock
prasad mehta
2015-07-16 16:57:17 UTC
Hello, I have installed the OpenVAS setup on RHEL 7 Linux machine. The installation is successful & I am able to get WEB UI for OpenVAS. But there is no result in scanning. Only seeing error in severity. So I run the OpenVAS Check Setup utility & found that the scanner is installed, but getting below error for redis server . Error :redis-server is not running or not listening on socket: /tmp/redis.sock Erro: Your OpenVas 8 installation yet not complete I confirmed that , the server have updated redis package. Can you please help me on how to proceed on this?
Anyone know the solution on redis server error?

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 7:23 PM, "Mehta, Prasad" <***@westpac.com.au> wrote:

<!--#yiv3258493543 _filtered #yiv3258493543 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv3258493543 #yiv3258493543 p.yiv3258493543MsoNormal, #yiv3258493543 li.yiv3258493543MsoNormal, #yiv3258493543 div.yiv3258493543MsoNormal {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";}#yiv3258493543 a:link, #yiv3258493543 span.yiv3258493543MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv3258493543 a:visited, #yiv3258493543 span.yiv3258493543MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv3258493543 span.yiv3258493543EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";color:windowtext;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;}#yiv3258493543 .yiv3258493543MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";} _filtered #yiv3258493543 {margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}#yiv3258493543 div.yiv3258493543WordSection1 {}-->Hello,   I have installed the OpenVAS setup on RHEL 7 Linux machine. The installation is successful & I am able to get WEB UI for OpenVAS.   But there is no result in scanning. Only seeing error in severity.   So I run the OpenVAS Check Setup utility & found that the scanner is installed, but getting below error for redis server .   Error :redis-server is not running or not listening on socket: /tmp/redis.sock   Erro: Your OpenVas 8 installation yet not complete   I confirmed that , the server have updated redis package.   Can you please help me on how to proceed on this?     Best Regards, Prasad Mehta B Wing Kensington, Powai, Mumbai, India T: +61 2 8374 0125 E: ***@westpac.com.au
Confidential communication
Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141)
Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation
Wesley Botham
2015-07-16 17:03:11 UTC
redis-server doesn't listen on /tmp/redis.sock by default. Try adding
the line `unixsocket /tmp/redis.sock` to your redis.conf and running
`/etc/init.d/redis-server restart`?

*Wesley J. Botham* | Software Developer, U.S. Rating
*Applied Systems, Inc.*
Post by prasad mehta
Hello,
I have installed the OpenVAS setup on RHEL 7 Linux machine. The
installation is successful & I am able to get WEB UI for OpenVAS.
But there is no result in scanning. Only seeing error in severity.
So I run the OpenVAS Check Setup utility & found that the scanner is
installed, but getting below error for redis server .
**
/tmp/redis.sock*
**
Winfried Neessen
2015-07-17 07:03:15 UTC

your default redis installation only listens on the tcp port, not the UNIX Socket.

From openvas-scanner-5.0.4/doc/redis_config.txt:
OpenVAS can currently only access redis via a unix socket. This choice has been
made for the sake of speed and security. No authentication is supported yet, we
rely on filesystem permissions to protect the KBs.

The path to the unix socket is '/tmp/redis.sock' by default, and can be changed
using the 'kb_location' parameter.

On the redis side, use the following directives:

port 0 # prevent redis from listening on a TCP socket
unixsocket /tmp/redis.sock
unixsocketperm 700
timeout 0

There is also a example config shipped with OpenVAS that you can
use.

Winni